Boot Dubbing in the ETO - GI Survey
Published: Fall 2008
Author: Chris Guska
Source: Roper Center Opinion Survey: The American Soldier in World War II: Equipment and Supplies, September 1944, ETO - Form B
1. PROJECT: THE AMERICAN SOLDIER IN WORLD WAR II
2. TITLE: EXPERIENCE WITH EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES
3. DATE: SEPTEMBER, 1944
4. SURVEY NUMBER: S-160B
5. PROJECT DIRECTOR: DR. SAMUEL A. STOUFFER
6. PROJECT SPONSOR: RESEARCH BRANCH INFORMATION AND EDUCATION DIVISION, WAR DEPARTMENT
The results and diagrams below are derived from studies conducted in September 1944, in the ETO of 402 White and African American enlisted men. The results of the survey were published in various publications during the late 1940's and found to be statistically significant and representative.
The survey in its entirety can be found at:
Roper Center Opinion Survey
I have selected several questions asked of the troops and their responses to provide us with answers to questions that cannot be simply answered by photographic study.
HAVE YOU EVER USED DUBBING ON YOUR SHOES OR BOOTS?
201 YES, SEVERAL TIMES
125 YES, A FEW TIMES
62 NO, NEVER
14 NO ANSWER
Based on this survey, 81% of respondants indicated that they had dubbed their boots and I would venture to make the hypothesis that the remaining 19% of respondants had boots that did not require dubbing. One cannot unequivocally state or conclude that all troops who had boots that required dubbing had their boots dubbed but it cannot be assumed that all respondants of the survey had boots that required dubbing. Therefore, I conclude that a percentage of soldiers in excess of the 81% as indicated, who had boots that required dubbing actually had their boots dubbed.
HOW WELL DOES THE DUBBIN WORK IN SOFTENING AND WATERPROOFING THE LEATHER
84 IT IS VERY GOOD
193 IT IS FAIR
64 IT IS POOR
61 NO ANSWER
69% of respondants had a generally favorable view of Dubbing in regards to its waterproofing and leather conditioning properties This reflects well my own and the unit's collective experience with both vintage and modern dubbing
What is interesting to note, is that a follow up question was if there was any "good way" of applying the dubbing, indicating that even the Army hadnt figured out the "best" way of applying the otherwise sticky goo to boots.
For information on how to dub your boots, please see the following article also written by Chris Guska.
Articles, Projects - How to Dub Your Boots
90th IDPG Research